Runway Closures 2013
The £Multi-Million refurbishment of Runway 1 in 2011 did incorporate works that have reduced the maintenance requirements but it is our prime runway and is in use 24 hrs a day, seven days a week and so both it and its’ adjoining taxiways experience heavy usage and naturally require some maintenance. Line painting, drain clearing, surface inspection (on foot by a team of operations colleagues) and other unglamorous housekeeping duties are all required to keep the Runway in a good condition. These tasks naturally require the runway to be closed to traffic.
In 2012 we had a total of 22 nights of runway closures in March/June/November, 6% of the nights available. In 2013 we scheduled works for 2 nights in February (work only took place on one night) and 4 nights in April (work only took place on three nights). By the end of April there have been four nights of runway closures over 120 nights; 3.3% of those available.
We will publish the details of any future work that will require a runway closure on this page.
Runway Refurbishment 2010-2011
Over 2010-2011 we carried out a £20 Million refurbishment programme on Runway 1 (Runway 23R/05L).
The project involved:
- The laying of 60,220 Metres of ducts
- The replacement 110 Kilometres of cable
- The construction of 370 Draw pits (man holes)
- 23 major drainage repairs
- The replacement of over 1,000 individual light fittings.
- The resurfacing of the entire length (3,048m) and width (46m) of the runway.
- Night time use of Runway 2 (Runway 23L/05R) to allow overnight works to take place on Runway 1.
- A comprehensive communication strategy which commenced eighteen months before work started and was completed in March 2012.
As a part of this project we compiled video clips to explain what work needed to be done and actual film of various stages of the work being carried out. Below are two video clips that are a review the project and our communication strategy for these works.
If you have any questions or particular concerns that are not addressed by this page please e-mail the Community Relations Team. If you have any suggestions about how to improve this page please let us know.
Future runway closures
Please return to this page for information on future runway closures.
Last updated 28th March 2013