On a ongoing basis we independently review our impact in the local communities. We survey three areas around our site Mobberley/Knutsford Shaw Heath (Cheshire) to the south and west, Wythenshawe to the north and Styal/Heald Green to the west. -Together these three areas constitute a full 360░ survey of the communities that neighbour our site. An ImpactáStudy is carried out each year; rotating around the three areas in-turn. We are keen to know:
- Has Manchester Airport become more visible in the community?
- Is Manchester Airport making a positive contribution in your neighbourhood?
- What progress has been made (since our last study)?
- How can our programmes be developed and improved?
We have uploaded a summary of the most recent survey for each area (right).
Working with Councillors
We regularly meet with City Councillors representing Wythenshawe, Metropolitan Borough Councillors representing Trafford/Stockport and Town/Parish Councillors representing Cheshire. These meetings provide a genuine two-way dialogue; so that we can understand each other better and be good and supportive neighbours. Attendees are asked to rate the event out of four (one being poor and four excellent). The overall score for the latest event was 3.9. The two most valued items on the agenda were:
- Airspace changes
- Environment overview
In 2011 for the first time we tested our Community Strategy and programme of initiatives against a national standard and were joint highest new entry in the Business in the Community (BITC) Index published in The Financial Times during June. We were ranked silver - a significant achievement for our first entry; in 2012 we increased our rank to gold and in 2013 to Platinum (one of only three companies in the North West).
We were honoured in 2013 to win two prestigious 'Big Tick' awards and four more in 2014:
- Education Award –For the mechanisms we have in place to support young people throughout their education and in to work.
- Inspiring Young Talent –For our ‘strong and well managed’ programme linked to a long term strategy to inspire, motivate and encourage young people in to our business.
- Building Stronger Communities –Recognising that we have developed our business in partnership with the communities affected by our operations; talking, listening and reacting to each other’s needs for our mutual benefit.
- Rural Action Award –For our ‘brilliant and innovative’ initiatives to bridge between the urban areas of Wythenshawe and the farmlands of Cheshire. We were shortlisted for a national award for this category.
These awards recognise our work in the community which is so important to our business. Last year we recorded over 7,400 hours by 322 colleagues; these awards recognise their achievements and the positive difference our business makes to our neighbouring communities.
In 2011 ouráCommunity Relations Manager Wendy Sinfield was awarded the BITC Leadership for Sustainability Award and in 2012 was named as a Business in the Community Game Changer. We believe that such recognition is further external endorsement of the excellent community programme that we have in place at Manchester; spear headed by Wendy and her Community Relations Team.
At the Bayer/FACE Awards 2013 (reward farmers, growers and other organisations who host school visits or offer educational activities in schools). Our partnership work with Schools in Cheshire and Wythenshawe with FACE (the Farming & Countryside Education, the National Farmers Union and Farm Phil Smallwood in Cheshire was recognised with an award.
You can find out more about our nationally acclaimed award winning programme in our Community Review 2013/2014.