A538 Junction improvement works
Works have now well advanced on the A538 junction improvement scheme; that will provide additional capacity on the road and improve access to Sunbank Lane.
Unfortunately, there will be some traffic disruption along the stretch of road adjacent the Amazon and DHL warehouses until Spring 2018. On completion, the road will be widened to a dual-carriageway and the existing Sunbank Lane junction upgraded to signal control to access the Runway Visitor Park/Romper Pub and the World Logistics Hub.
- 5th June 2017 -Bus stops were relocated and a footpath diversion was implemented along Wilmslow Road/A538. Pedestrians heading north along Wilmslow Road from the Airport tunnels are diverted left along a temporary footpath through the Amazon/DHL industrial estate and now exit beside the M56 roundabout. -See this detailed plan.
- North and southbound traffic has now returned to their respective, newly realigned, carriageways with a single lane maintained in each direction. Works have now commenced to realign and reconfigure the central reservation between the traffic flows.
Hilton Junction works/Enterprise Way Construction
- Enterprise Way, a new road linking Airport City North with the Airport campus and M56, opened in late November.
- At the “Hilton” junction, where the Airport M56 slip road meets Outwood Lane and Ringway Road West, works are underway to realign the roadway. These works will be completed by the end of March. This work necessitates some traffic being diverted via Enterprise Way until Scheme completion.
- Works are underway to construct a roundabout on Outwood Lane (at the junction with Terminal Road North) between The Hilton Hotel and the elevated rampt to Terminal 1 Departures. Outwood Lane, carrying traffic away from our site, has been reduced to one lane.
- This project is scheduled for completion before the end of May 2018.
Thorley Lane/Runger Lane
- Laing O’Rourke are implementing pedestrian crossings on Thorley Lane/Runger Lane. During these works there will be temporary traffic signal – these will be moved in sections as these works are carried out. All works on the carriageway will be during off-peak hours (09:30 – 16:00 Monday to Friday).
We will provide updates as these works progress on this page.