A538 Junction improvement works June 2017-February 2018
Works have now commenced on the A538 junction improvement scheme; that will provide additional capacity on the road and improve access to Sunbank Lane.
Unfortunately, there will be some traffic disruption along the stretch of road adjacent the Amazon and DHL warehouses until Spring 2018. On completion, the road will be widened to a dual-carriageway and the existing Sunbank Lane junction upgraded to signal control to access the Runway Visitor Park/Romper Pub and the World Logistics Hub.
- 5th June -Bus stops were relocated and a footpath diversion was implemented along Wilmslow Road/A538. Pedestrians heading north along Wilmslow Road from the Airport tunnels are diverted left along a temporary footpath through the Amazon/DHL industrial estate and now exit beside the M56 roundabout. -See this detailed plan.
- 12th June – Early November -The first main phase of traffic management became operational. This will maintain one lane of traffic in each direction; with all current access routes maintained.
- ‘Black top’ has now been laid on the new roadway (for northbound traffic) that has been constructed between the Logistics Hub and the M56 roundabout. During week commencing 6th November there will be a change to the carriageway layout. Traffic will move on to the newly ‘black topped’ roadway. Works will then start to remodel and resurface the original carriageway for use as the new southbound roadway.
A538 Runway Tunnel works May-November 2017
In the four road tunnels we are installing new energy efficient, low maintenance and controllable lighting and repainting the walls. We are also carrying out works in the four tunnels used by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders. In order to carry out these works the tunnels will need to be closed and temporarily capacity will be reduced to a single lane in each direction and traffic will share the same tunnels.
The van fire earlier in the year has caused an extension to the works on one of the tunnels. Soot throughout the tunnel has had to be cleaned from the bore walls before paint could be applied; this has taken much longer than first anitipcated.
- Safety restrictions commenced on Wednesday 3rd May:
- Road Closures and diversions:
- Between 22:00 hrs on 15th November and 05:00 hrs on 16th November the road will be closed for traffic heading from Wilmslow to Hale. Vehicles should follow the signposted departured route.
- From 05:00 hrs on 16th November traffic will return to the correct tunnels and the temporary restriction on vehicles turning right from Mill Lane will be lifted.
- The outer lane in each direction will be closed between 16th and 20th November whilst pedestrian barriers and marksing are resintated.
- From 20th November the tunnels will be operational as before and traffic will be able to turn towards Wilmslow.
Airport City North Link Road/Enterprise Way Construction
- Thorley & Bailey Lanes – Traffic is running on the diversion roads with access to Kingsley Hall via the closed section of Bailey Lane, and access to Etrop Grange is via the closed sections of Thorley Lane. Manchester City Council will be carrying out additional enforcement visits of the double yellow lines and clear way along the access only section of Thorley Lane.
- Terminal 2 Roundabout – lane narrowing is ongoing on the slip road off the M56 spur and the north side of the roundabout. Two lanes will be maintained during this work, and there should be minimal impact.
- Ringway Road West – Gallagher, working on behalf on United Utilities, will be working on Ringway Road West with restrictions on the westbound lane on the approach to the T1-T3 “Hilton” roundabout. Morrison, working on behalf of BT Openreach, will be carrying out a “half and half” road crossing of the eastbound carriageway.
- Summary of works
We will provide updates as these works progress on this page.