A538 Junction improvement works June 2017-February 2018
Works have now commenced on the A538 junction improvement scheme; that will provide additional capacity on the road and improve access to Sunbank Lane.
Unfortunately, there will be some traffic disruption along the stretch of road adjacent the Amazon and DHL warehouses until Spring 2018. On completion, the road will be widened to a dual-carriageway and the existing Sunbank Lane junction upgraded to signal control to access the Runway Visitor Park/Romper Pub and the World Logistics Hub.
- 5th June -Bus stops were relocated and a footpath diversion was implemented along Wilmslow Road/A538. Pedestrians heading north along Wilmslow Road from the Airport tunnels are diverted left along a temporary footpath through the Amazon/DHL industrial estate and now exit beside the M56 roundabout. -See this detailed plan.
- Weeks commencing 5th and 12th June -There were a series of overnight lane closures controlled by two-way lights (Northbound and Southbound) while the main phase of traffic management was installed.
- 12th June – Early October -The first main phase of traffic management became operational. This will maintain one lane of traffic in each direction; with all current access routes maintained.
- For six nights, starting Wednesday 20th at 21:00 hrs and finishing 04:30 hrs on Tuesday 26th September there will be a complete closure of the A538. Works will take please each night between 21:00 hrs and 04:30 hrs and the road re-opened to traffic each day between 04:31 and 20:59 hrs. Please follow the signposted diversion routes for north or southbound traffic.
A538 Runway Tunnel works May-November 2017
In the four road tunnels we are installing new energy efficient, low maintenance and controllable lighting and repainting the walls. We are also carrying out works in the four tunnels used by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders. In order to carry out these works the tunnels will need to be closed and temporarily capacity will be reduced to a single lane in each direction and traffic will share the same tunnels.
The van fire earlier in the year has caused a three-week extension to the works on one of the tunnels. Soot throughout the tunnel has had to be cleaned from the bore walls before paint could be applied; this has taken much longer than first anitipcated.
- Safety restrictions commenced on Wednesday 3rd May:
- Road Closures and diversions:
- From 05:00 hrs on Saturday 6th May traffic in both directions has shared the two tunnels that usually carry traffic from Hale Barns to Wilmslow.
- From 01:00 hrs on 14th September until mid-November traffic in both directions will share the two tunnels that usually carry traffic from Wilmslow to Hale Barns.
- In mid-November there will be a final night time closure to return traffic follows to their correct tunnels. The date of the November closure will be confirmed as works progress.
Airport City North Link Road/Enterprise Way Construction
- Thorley & Bailey Lanes – Traffic is running on the diversion roads with access to Kingsley Hall via the closed section of Bailey Lane, and access to Etrop Grange is via the closed sections of Thorley Lane. Manchester City Council will be carrying out additional enforcement visits of the double yellow lines and clear way along the access only section of Thorley Lane.
- Terminal 2 Roundabout – lane narrowing is ongoing on the slip road off the M56 spur and the north side of the roundabout. Two lanes will be maintained during this work, and there should be minimal impact.
- Ringway Road West – Gallagher, working on behalf on United Utilities, will be working on Ringway Road West with restrictions on the westbound lane on the approach to the T1-T3 “Hilton” roundabout. Morrison, working on behalf of BT Openreach, will be carrying out a “half and half” road crossing of the eastbound carriageway.
- Summary of works
We will provide updates as these works progress on this page.