A538 Junction improvement works
Works have now well advanced on the A538 junction improvement scheme; that will provide additional capacity on the road and improve access to Sunbank Lane.
Unfortunately, there will be some traffic disruption along the stretch of road adjacent the Amazon and DHL warehouses until Spring 2018. On completion, the road will be widened to a dual-carriageway and the existing Sunbank Lane junction upgraded to signal control to access the Runway Visitor Park/Romper Pub and the World Logistics Hub.
- 5th June 2017 -Bus stops were relocated and a footpath diversion was implemented along Wilmslow Road/A538. Pedestrians heading north along Wilmslow Road from the Airport tunnels are diverted left along a temporary footpath through the Amazon/DHL industrial estate and now exit beside the M56 roundabout. -See this detailed plan.
- Week commencing Monday 15th January north and southbound traffic will return to their respective, newly realigned, carriageways with a single lane maintained in each direction. Works will then commence on realigning and reconfiguring the central reservation between the traffic flows.
- There will be six nights of road closures between 21:00 hrs on Wednesday 7th and 04:30 hrs on Tuesday 13th February; each night between 21:00 and 04:30 hrs traffic will follow a sign-posted diversion route.
Hilton Junction works/Enterprise Way Construction
- Enterprise Way, a new road linking Airport City North with the Airport campus and M56, opened in late November.
- At the “Hilton” junction, where the Airport M56 slip road meets Outwood Lane and Ringway Road West, works are underway to realign the roadway. These works will be completed by the end of March. This work necessitates some traffic being diverted via Enterprise Way until Scheme completion.
- United Utilities water main installation work along Ringway Road (between Parade Road and Woodhouse Lane) gets underway at 09:30 on 15 January. Manually controlled temporary traffic lights will be used to control traffic flow –please allow some extra time for your journey. Access to/from Mid Stay car park, Car Rental Village etc. will be maintained. Project duration is expected to be 4–6 weeks.
- Once the above 'main' installation is completed, Manchester City Council will resurface Ringway Road in March over a two-week period. This will be evening/night working. Full details will follow.
We will provide updates as these works progress on this page.