A538 Roadworks Updates
Junction improvement works
Works have now commenced on the A538 junction improvement scheme; that will provide additional capacity on the road and improve access to Sunbank Lane.
Unfortunately, there will be some traffic disruption along the stretch of road adjacent the Amazon and DHL warehouses until Spring 2018. On completion, the road will be widened to a dual-carriageway and the existing Sunbank Lane junction upgraded to signal control to access the Runway Visitor Park/Romper Pub and the World Logistics Hub.
- 5th June -Bus stops were relocated and a footpath diversion was implemented along Wilmslow Road/A538. Pedestrians heading north along Wilmslow Road from the Airport tunnels are diverted left along a temporary footpath through the Amazon/DHL industrial estate and now exit beside the M56 roundabout. -See this detailed plan.
- Weeks commencing 5th and 12th June -There were a series of overnight lane closures controlled by two-way lights (Northbound and Southbound) while the main phase of traffic management was installed.
- 12th June – Early October -The first main phase of traffic management became operational. This will maintain one lane of traffic in each direction; with all current access routes maintained.
- For six nights, starting Wednesday 20th at 21:00 hrs and finishing 04:30 hrs on Tuesday 26th September there will be a complete closure of the A538. Works will take please each night between 21:00 hrs and 04:30 hrs and the road re-opened to traffic each day between 04:31 and 20:59 hrs. Please follow the signposted diversion routes for north or southbound traffic
Runway Tunnel works
In the four road tunnels we are installing new energy efficient, low maintenance and controllable lighting and repainting the walls. In the four tunnels used by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders we are painting the walls. In order to carry out these works the tunnels will need to be closed and temporarily capacity will be reduced to a single lane in each direction and traffic will share the same tunnels.
The van fire earlier in the year has caused a three-week extension to the works on one of the tunnels. Soot throughout the tunnel has had to be cleaned from the bore walls before paint could be applied; this has taken much longer than first anitipcated.
Safety restrictions commenced on Wednesday 3rd May:
Road Closures and diversions:
- From 05:00 hrs on Saturday 6th May traffic in both directions has shared the two tunnels that usually carry traffic from Hale Barns to Wilmslow.
- Between 22:00 hrs on Tuesday 29th and 04:00 hrs on Wednesday 30th August there will be a closure of the road to traffic heading in the direction of Wilmslow to Hale Barns. Please follow the signposted diversion routes for northbound traffic.
- From 04:00 hrs on Wednesday 30th August until late October traffic in both directions will share the two tunnels that usually carry traffic from Wilmslow to Hale Barns.
- In late October there will be a final night time closure to return traffic follows to their correct tunnels. The date of the October closure will be confirmed as works progress.
We will provide updates as these works progress on this page.